It is true that today, houses with high ceilings are not usually built, as houses with lower ceilings are preferred. High ceilings are usually about 3 feet above the ground and many people are in doubt as to whether they are more advisable than low ceilings.
As it is normal to have a house with a higher ceiling than normal, it has its good things and its bad things. In the next article we are going to tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of houses with high ceilings.
Table of Contents
Advantages of living in a house with a high ceiling
Houses with high ceilings allow innovation in terms of decoration and to be able to choose to place different or decorative objects of a larger size than normal. In any case, we show you some of the advantages of houses with high ceilings:
- They allow the houses to be much brighter so you can choose to put large windows in the different rooms, which help to ventilate the whole house much better. A house in which a lot of light enters is important when it comes to getting a cheerful and welcoming atmosphere.
- A high ceiling helps to give a feeling of spaciousness throughout the house and to have plenty of free space to decorate it as one sees fit. This is a real advantage that should be used to the full.
- It allows the person to have many more options when decorating the house. You can choose large paintings, mirrors or large plants and achieve in this way a unique and imposing decoration.
- It has been found that a high ceiling is perfect for achieving good acoustics, something that musicians will appreciate. Apart from that, such ceilings help foster creativity and imagination.
- A last advantage is to get more space when putting various shelves or furniture, that allow achieving a certain harmony in all the decorative space of the house.
Disadvantages of houses with high ceilings
Houses that have too high ceilings need a lot of decoration, so that the home does not give the feeling that it is too cold. Here we will talk about a series of disadvantages that living in a house with a ceiling that is too high has:
- Being very large spaces they need more energy to be able to cool or heat the different rooms of a house. When it comes to getting a cozy atmosphere they require a longer time than in the case of a small house.
- It involves a greater expense in what refers to the decoration of the house. The different furniture must be larger than normal, otherwise the adequate decoration will not be achieved. When increasing the volume of the different pieces of furniture, it is preferable that they be in light colors and that they combine perfectly with the walls. If you want to visually reduce the height of the ceiling, you can paint it in a darker color than the walls of the room.
- High ceilings do not go well with some decorative styles such as minimalism. The own height of the ceilings requires the opting for large decorative accessories and completely put aside simplicity and austerity.
- There is great difficulty when it comes to being able to access the top of the roof, so it is difficult to have a good maintenance of it. This is what happens when changing a lamp bulb or when having to paint the surface of the ceiling itself.
Ultimately, a house that has a high ceiling is perfect when it comes to innovating when it comes to decoration. Having to opt for different personalized spaces makes creativity and imagination play a primary and very important role. The light tones of the walls make the challenge from a decorative point of view much greater. If you want to reduce the space you can always choose to paint the walls of the house with different darker tones.
In any case, it is important to be able to make the most of the high ceilings of the house. There is nothing better than being able to have different large spaces throughout the house and in this way to be able to give rein to the imagination and creativity that everyone carries inside. As you can see, there are many more advantages than disadvantages when it comes to having high ceilings in the house.