We have all heard of Feng Shui and how it can help us positive energies flow naturally for every corner of our home. But do we know how to apply it to make it so? As it would be difficult to cover everything, we focus today on how to place the bed according to Feng Shui.
The bedroom is the most important room of the home for Feng Shui, so it is not difficult to find material on how to furnish and decorate it so that its energy is good. The first step, of course, is to orient and position the bed correctly, the most voluminous and important piece of furniture in the room. But before…
Table of Contents
What is Feng Shui?
Feng Shui is an ancient art based on some principles of Chinese metaphysics that seeks the general harmony of the individual with his environment. Study since ancient times energy flow to achieve a conscious occupation of space, a positive influence so that those who inhabit it have a better quality of life.
Its translation, 'Wind and Water', refers to the chi movement or vital flow of energy, which is part of everything and everyone and whose circulation promotes health, prosperity and a harmonious life. And it is that Feng Shui is closely related to the Taoist vision and understanding of nature, in particular the idea that the earth is alive and full of Chi or energy.
Other concepts shared between feng shui and Taoism include the yin and yang polarities and the theory of the five elements. At the core of the yin and yang principle lies the belief that a balance between the feminine (Yin) and the masculine (Yang) in our lives is necessary to maintain a good flow of Chi and a happy, successful and contented life.
The Five Element Principle, meanwhile, holds that all things consist of varying degrees of five elements. In the feng shui system, wood, fire, earth, metal, and water are the five elements, and each is represented by certain colors that can help us bring harmony to a particular space.
The importance of the bedroom
For Feng Shui the bedroom is the most important room of the home, as we have already advanced in the introduction. The reason, as explained in the art of Feng Shui, is that during sleep we are particularly vulnerable to the energy around us. Hence, we must pay special attention to this.
There are many feng shui keys to decorate and organize the bedroom in such a way that the energy at bedtime is positive. The colors in the bedroom, for example, should be soft, neither too cold nor too warm, and should never be placed in a work or exercise area. And the bed? The bed is very important to orient it in a certain way as well as to provide it with essential elements. But how to place the bed according to Feng Shui?
The bed always plays a leading role in the bedroom. And in Feng Shui it becomes a key element to measure how tidy the bedroom is according to this art. Did you know that the bed should never be aligned with the entrance door to the room or the bathroom en suite? But this is not the only key for the Chi vital energy to flow correctly. Discover how to place the bed according to Feng Shui.
The most important tips
- Make sure your bed is in a dominant position, or in other words, facing the door but not directly aligned with it. It is important that there are no doors that open directly in line with the bed to prevent the feet from pointing directly at the bed.
- The wall on which the headboard rests must be the furthest from the door. This should be a solid wall, without doors or windows, so that it receives the ying energy.
- According to Feng Shui, orienting the headboard of the south facing bed promotes rest and ease of falling asleep. Therefore, try to place the headboard on the wall that faces south.
- The bed must be in such a way that there is space both at the sides and at the feet this. That is, it should not be attached to a wall. A bed in a corner could interfere with the proper flow of positive energy.
- Don't make your bed under low beams, sloped ceilings or soffits. From the point of view of Feng Shui, there should be nothing hanging over the bed at bedtime. And if there has to be, the ideal is to look for elements that have a light appearance and that do not point directly at the bed.
Feng Shui is an art and cannot be learned in a day. If you are really interested in creating a home according to what Feng Shui proposes, you can always consult a professional. Nowadays, this process can be carried out online, although face-to-face is preferable.