Painting is key and essential when renovating any wooden furniture that you have in the house, such as a chair or a shelf. This paint will allow you to leave the furniture you want as new and give it a new decorative touch.
In the market you can find a multitude of options and varieties related to wood paint. All you have to do is choose the right paint and renovate your furniture to make it look like new.
Table of Contents
Aspects to consider when choosing a paint for wood
- The first thing you should know is whether the wood to be painted is indoor or outdoor. Exterior paint has a number of characteristics that interior paint does not have.
- The finish is another factor to consider when choosing a type of wood paint. Thanks to the finish, the furniture can have a different aesthetic. In this case, you can choose a finish that is satin, glossy or matte.
- The third factor to consider in relation to wood paint is color. Depending on your tastes, you should choose the paint color that you are going to apply to the furniture you want to renovate.
Paint classes for wood
- Base paint is key when it comes to protecting a material such as wood. It helps the upper layer to adhere and that is why it is recommended that the color of said paint be the same as that of the upper layer of the furniture to be treated.
- Enamels are another type of wood paint and help to obtain the desired finish. They can be satin, shiny or matte. This type of paint protects the wood from external agents and helps it not wear out over time. Enamels are commonly used on wooden doors.
- Paint to decorate is another that you can use when renovating a wooden furniture. There are several types or classes:
- Chalk paint is a type of wood paint that gives the furniture in question a matte finish and a touch reminiscent of chalk.
- Milky paint achieves a vintage decorative effect on wooden furniture and it is very simple to apply.
- Metallic paint is another type of wood paint with a decorative effect, that you can use in the furniture of the house that you want to renovate.
- Plastic paint is another of the wood paints that you can find on the market. As with enamels, this paint can be matte, satin or glossy. Plastic paint can be reminiscent of the paint used on the walls of the house but with a much softer touch that is perfect for wood.
- Water-based paint is one that is diluted in water. This wood paint dries fairly quickly and has little odor. The problem with water-based paint is that it is much less resistant and of lower quality than solvent or synthetic paint.
- Varnish is another type of wood paint that you can use both indoors and outdoors. The good thing about varnish is that it protects the wood itself and gives it a natural touch that is perfect on wooden furniture. The varnish helps a material like wood breathe and does not form a layer on top of it. In the market you can find decorative varnishes that get a special decorative touch to the furniture that you are going to treat.
Tips to follow before applying wood paint
Before you start painting a certain piece of furniture in the house, It is advisable to follow a series of tips and obtain the desired result:
- The first thing is to have the wood completely dry and clean. If there is dirt, you should not use chemicals to clean it as it can negatively affect the painting process.
- The next thing you should do is sand the surface to be painted well. This ensures that the paint adheres perfectly to the wood.
- When painting it is advisable to opt for good tools. Don't skimp on using good quality brushes and rollers and get the desired result.
- In the event that you are going to mix different colors it is good that you use a mixer and Get in this way that the final paint is of a uniform color.
As you have seen, there are many options when it comes to painting wooden furniture. If you choose the right paint, you will make the chosen piece of furniture look like new and perfectly renovated again.